Tuesday 31 January 2017

REVIEW - HI-TEC V-LITE FLASH HIKING BOOTS



Quathlamba
“A mass of Spears. Named thus by the Zulu warriors before the white man came. Today called the Drakensberg, Mountains of the Dragon, a name given by the Voortrekkers. Evocative names, both equally applicable to South Africa’s mightiest mountain range with its spear-like peaks – reminiscent of the saw-toothed spine of a gigantic dragon.”


Panorama April 1966


“Listen to the streams as they gurgle from their cradles and you will hear the story of the mountains. You will hear fascinating tales if only you listen! Lie next to a stream and listen to the song of the mountains. The smiling faces of the flowers, dancing in the wind. Venture into the remote valleys or stand on a peak at sunrise or sunset, after snow has fallen, and you will hear a song that you will never forget - the Song of the High Mountain".



DRAKENSBERG WILDERNESS PHOTOS © WILLEM PELSER






“USE YOUR FEARS….IT CAN TAKE YOU TO A PLACE WHERE YOU STORE YOUR COURAGE
AMELIA EARHART





REVIEW
HI-TEC V-LITE FLASH
HIKING BOOTS





On my quest for the perfect hiking boots I happen to come across the Hi-Tec V-Lite Flash Hiking boots and I promptly obtained a pair. When I received the boots I was quite impressed with them as they are indeed a very good looking pair of shoes. My needs however go way beyond good looking. I do solo hiking off the beaten track deep in the wilderness areas and I therefore need a boot which will be able to withstand the rugged wild terrain I move through. The boots should be able to do exactly what the manufacturer claim they can and should be designed for a specific purpose.


   Because I solo hike I cannot afford a bad pair of boots or boots which will fall apart during a hike. Hiking through the Drakensberg Wilderness will subject hiking boots to rain, wet grass, rocks, rivers, streams, and all sorts of other tests.


   In all probability my boots will be wet inside and out for the greater part of my hike. I have learnt the lesson by know: there is no such a thing as a waterproof hiking boot. In the Drakensberg Wilderness your boots will get wet sooner than later. What is important then is whether the boot can deal with being wet most of the time and if it can survive such an ordeal. Which then also become very important is how long it will take the boots to dry out again.


   I take exceptionally good care of my hiking boots, but, on a hiking trip I have no mercy for them; they are an important part of my kit and will have to go where I go and last the distance. (That is why I buy specialized boots and not sneakers)


   Back to the boots: When I received the boots, my first thought was that the leather is never going to last beyond their first hiking trip. The leather felt very thin and soft, too soft to handle heavy hiking. I was really greatly concerned about the leather and I could imagine myself in the wilderness being stranded by a pair of ripped apart boots.





Manufacturer Product Specification

Technologies:
Dri-Tec, i-shield, OrthoLite® Impressions, V-Lite, Vibram®, Vibram® RollingGait System
Product Type:
Boot
Product Use:
Hiking
Gender:
Men's
Features:
·         V-LITE lightweight design, perfect for walking
·         Stunning, glove soft Pittards leather upper, delivers breathability, durability and comfort during wear
·         i-shield repels water and dirt, and is resistant to stains
·         Versatile lacing system provides a secure fit
·         Dri-Tec waterproof, breathable membrane keeps feet dry
·         Gusseted tongue keeps debris out
·         Padded collar and tongue provides extreme comfort
·         OrthoLite® Impressions sock liner with slow recovery foam delivers superior cushioning and has anti-odor and anti-microbial properties
·         Vibram® RGS midsole supports the natural roll of the foot
·         Vibram® RGS rubber outsole provides durability and outstanding traction



   I started using the boots at home to get them walked in for a couple of weeks before using them on a hiking trip. From the onset I was very impressed with the boots. They were very lightweight indeed and exceptionally comfortable. The Vibram soles of the boots gave a superior grip on rough surfaces and my confidence in the boots grew, even though I was still apprehensive about the soft leather uppers. The boots walked in very quickly and was a pleasure to walk around with.


   About 2 months after receiving the boots I was of on a 5 day hiking trip into the Cobham Wilderness area in the Drakensberg. I decided to give the boots their first outing and see what happens. Right from the start the boots proved to be very comfortable and easy to live with. It was a pleasure to walk with them and the grip of the soles proved to be very good indeed. The boots did get wet inside and outside not long into the trip but the boots did dry out reasonably quickly. The lacing system is good and no issue at all. Scuff marks on the front of the boots appeared very quickly but, as I walk through rugged terrain, any boot will scuff very quickly. After the trip I arrived back home with a pair of boots well scuffed and some minor scratches and cuts on the leather uppers. After a good wash, clean and treatment I put them away for the next trip.




The boots have now done close to 400 kilometers of hiking and has passed my stringent requirements quite easily. The very soft leather uppers are still in one piece, although now well worn. Nothing on the boots up to now has fall to pieces.


   My hiking consists of walking through very rough terrain of the path and includes scrambling up and down hills as well as climbing cliffs and mountains and I carry on average a 22kg backpack. It means that my boots are put to the ultimate test on every hike. On my last 7 day hike in January 2017, the boots were wet for 6 out of the 7 days. And not just wet, but soaking wet! The weather was bad and it constantly rained. Long, wet grass added to the influx of water into the boot, as did wading through swollen rivers and streams. I am very happy to report that the boots came through with flying colors and is no worse for the wear. The boots today look like a pair of well-worn and used boots. There are now more scuff marks and cuts and abrasions on the leather, but not to the extent that it causes a problem. The leather is now even softer than before and still withstanding everything that the wilderness throws at it.


   The only problem that I experienced with the boots was the grip of the soles on rocks. If the sole is dry and the rock wet, there is no grip and the boots become very slippery. If the soles are wet and the rocks dry, the same apply. Other than that the soles offer a superior grip on all surfaces and I have learnt to be just very careful when walking on rocks, dry or wet.


   After the last trip, the boots being wet for 6 days, they did dry out completely after 2 days of tender care.


   I am not a person who cares much about the technical specifications of equipment. I am more interested in what the boots do in the wild rugged wilderness and if they can last the distance and be totally reliable under all conditions.




   I have to say that I am now very impressed indeed with the Hi-Tec V-Lite Flash hiking boots. They have now proven themselves over hundreds of kilometers through very severe terrain.  The very soft leather uppers have proofed that they can deal with anything and will not fall apart.


   Hi-Tec has come up with a very good boot indeed and well worth the expense. Nice boots indeed and they have become my trusted hiking friend.



The End.


Safe Hiking.





References and Acknowledgements

From the book – Article by Willem Pelser

Photos – Willem Pelser

Compiled by Willem Pelser



No comments:

Post a Comment